Friday, October 12, 2012

Vegan MoFo: Day 8 - Soup for a Rainy Day


Rain in Pasadena is always exciting.  Coming from Boston, I thought I wouldn't miss rain ever, but now rain reminds me of home.  When it rains, I always crave either dal or soup.  Since my grandmothers are back in Boston and DC, dal is out of the question.  As a child of Indians I live in constant fear of attempting dal and it not being good enough.  So I decided on soup.

  • 4 carrots with tops
  • 1 stick celery
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 1 large russet potato
  • 4 cups chickenless broth
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 2 T chopped parsley
  • salt and fresh ground pepper
  • canola oil for sautéing
We first separate the tops and chop the carrots and celery and slice the onion into half-moons.  Then, sauté in a 4 qt pot until onions are translucent.  Meanwhile, chop the potato into 1/2 inch cubes and add to pot with the broth.  Salt to taste, bring to a simmer, and cover until potatoes are soft.  Chop carrot tops and add with parsley and soy milk, simmer 5 minutes more, and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment