Sunday, October 2, 2011

Vegan MoFo: Day 2



Sometimes I let vanity get to me and allow myself to consider myself some sort of connoisseur of tofu scrambles. I love them all. I also consider myself someone who doesn't like waste, so this particular scramble took shape from the remains of last night's meteors and moons. After waking up at 8 to work on a Sunday, this was just the thing. Please note that it is the result of most of my kitchen stuff still being in the mail from Boston. This particular scramble was crispy, chewy, salty, and spicy at once and looked disturbingly like the other kind of scramble.

Negative Space Scramble
- 1 tsp hot paprika (the only paprika I had)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, but fresh would be amazing
- 1 tsp granulated garlic -or- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 handful nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- The remains of cookie cuttered tofu (roughly 1/3 of a block Trader Joe's super firm), crumbled
- 1 handful arugula, torn into pieces
- 1 tsp canola oil

Put together the spice in a small bowl and set aside. This makes life infinitely easier.

Heat a large well seasoned or nonstick pan over medium-high heat with the canola oil. When pan is hot, add tofu. Cook tofu, stirring regularly, until it is dried out and the smallest pieces are crispy and starting to brown.

Add spice mix and stir to coat. Adjust salt if necessary. Continue cooking (and stirring) for about 3 more minutes or until you can smell toasted spices.

Add arugula and stir until wilted. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. I also love basically all tofu scrambles. They're so lovely and simple and yet delicious. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am admitting this but I have actually never made or tried a tofu scramble! I keep hearing such wonderful things though, so I think I will attempt your recipe! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete