Saturday, October 8, 2011

VeganMoFo Day 5: Welcoming fall tofu scramble


Here we go again with the tofu scrambles, right? I'm aiming to post one recipe for one per weekend. So I woke up this morning craving something autumnal. I know this is Southern California and fall is a myth, but I'm a Boston boy, goddamnit so even if the high for the day is listed as 78, I'm going to insist it's fall and treat it as such. And what's more fall-like than pumpkin? Then I thought "have tofu, will scramble" and this was born. Some pumpkin, some spices, some greens (I used arugula because that's what I had on hand), et voilà. As a college student I don't always get to make or eat the most glamourous of food, and this definitely isn't the most photogenic scramble I've made. However, it is an unconventional scramble and that alone makes it feel fancy.


Spice Mix:
1 t sage
1 t thyme
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t allspice
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t hot paprika
1 t salt (trust me)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

The Scramble:
3 T canola oil
4 cloves garlic, lightly chopped
1 package extra firm tofu
1 cup pureed pumpkin (I didn't measure, just used last week's leftovers)
1 massive handful leafy greens


The Recipe:
Heat canola oil over medium-high heat in a large pan (this is a 10" one). Sauté garlic for a few minutes until it is soft. Crumble the tofu into the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. I use a wooden spoon for this, but if your pan isn't nonstick you may want to use a metal spatula. Continue sautéing until the tofu is lightly browned on at least one side.

Add spice mix, and stir furiously to coat and toast the spices a bit. Then pour in the pumpkin purée, toss to coat, and let it cook down until your scramble has no water in the bottom of the pan and is uniformly a dull orange-y colour. Put in your greens, let wilt, and serve immediately. Preferably on top of whole wheat toast.


14 comments:

  1. Oh...my GOD. Tofu scramble with PUMPKIN?! I am going to have to try this. I might be changing my plans for dinner right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu scramble with pumpkin is a great idea, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin automatically makes everything fancier and more delicious. I was planning an Indian inspired pumpkin pasta sauce, but then I remembered I hate Indian food and I love tofu scramble. THanks, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD IT'S SOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just blew my mind with this idea! In a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to feature it on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Tofu scrambles are my favorite. I'm loving the idea of pumpkin and sage too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. ARGH. I've been trying to PM you on the PPK but for some reason it keeps eating my messages. Can you email me (choirqueer/atgmail?) so I can check in with you re: posting about this on my blog? Sorry, I don't know another way to contact you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, sir, are a genius. I'm a busy vet student, so the simplicity of this dish (along with the fact that I didn't have to go shopping) prompted me to try this immediately. And it was fast! Eaten with a side of toasted sprouted bread and some cherry tomatoes - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this for my mom today and she LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! Such a clever idea, I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, but this was awesome!
    Added a tablespoon of hot sauce and used a kale salad mix for the greens.
    What an explosion of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If there was a tie for 27th, eight shots back. It costs doubly much
    to keep an American search engine than when you hire a Filipino
    search engine expert to do a string search on Google.
    Link building is also a way of generating huge amount of benefit from it.

    They say that if the search engine Company better, it's the previous clientsWith this three in your hands you can be assured of better ranking.

    Have a look at my blog; seo link building

    ReplyDelete